Two people. Two different diets. One city.

Monday, February 1, 2010

In Defense of One World

Of course your first would be of One World. It's amazing that I was able to drag you there last week. Unlike my fellow food critic, I like One World. Yesterday at a friend described One World to me as "the place I go when I don't feel like cooking." The food is simple, reasonably priced and straight forward but they always have exciting specials including a veggie burger of the day that is always delicious. They also have many staples such as vegan chili, a vegetarian take on a club sandwich featuring tofu and tempeh bacon, a vegetarian meatball sub and quesadilla and burritos that are available with vegan cheese and sour cream. I have yet to find another restaurant in Baltimore that has vegan sour cream. Oh and they have really delicious guacamole, but don't be fooled, the bottom of the bowl the guacamole is served in is padded with lettuce to make it look like there's more than there really is. It's still delicious. would also recommend the OWC Wrap and the meat(less)ball sub. One World also has a great selection of vegan friendly desserts and good beer. With the cafe setting it's easy to go and just grab a slice of the triple layer vegan chocolate cake and a Rogue Dead Guy on a Sunday afternoon with out having to wait for a table.

I do agree with my partner that One World does have a few flaws. For a while the service was really bad but several key people on the wait staff no longer work there which has made a huge difference. Also there are some items on the menu that I would describe as bad, the falafel being one of them. I would also not recommend the humus or the vegan cheese steak (although I've heard some people do like it). The humus is bland and chunky. The breakfast menu features "steamed eggs" which are indeed as gross as they sound. I'm not sure why anyone would advertise that they steam their eggs, much less steam them at all. I have a bad memory of ordering the tostada at One World for breakfast the morning after a night of heavy drinking. I was only able to take a few bites before I had to puke in the bathroom (mostly from the alcohol) and the waitress didn't seem to show any concern that I hadn't finished my meal (I am very particular about good service). That being said, I would still recommend One World as a good place to go if you are looking for an inexpensive, average meal. Just stick with the specials or one of the items listed above.

I give One World 3 noms out of 5.

100 West University Parkway
Baltimore, MD 21210-3454
(410) 235-5777

No comments:

Post a Comment